Skip to content

Thursday, 26 January 2023

… was the response from many manufacturers at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. CES 2023 was heavily focused on automotive with a big presence from EV charging manufacturers, for both domestic (at home) or commercial (fleet charging) applications. 

The demand for charging options is growing along with the adoption of electric cars (EVs). The market for EV chargers is expanding, and more people are wanting to transition to electric. This presents a big opportunity for EV charger manufacturers. We'll examine more closely at the impending rise of electric charging in this blog post, as well as what it means for EV charger producers.

Wednesday, 25 January 2023

The KDE e.V. does a ton of work to support the KDE Community throughout the year. In this session the board gives you some insights in the work of the e.V. and what we did over the last year to support the KDE Community.

Many teams and individual people in KDE are doing amazing work. In this session we are taking the time to recognize some of the ones who stood out.

OpenVoiceOS is a community-powered Linux platform purpose-built to showcase the power of Open Source Voice Assistance.

The major graphical user interface elements powering up the OpenVoiceOS technology stack are built upon KDE Frameworks, Kirigami, and Mycroft GUI. OpenVoiceOS targets bringing the latest voice assistance improvements to a range of devices ranging from embedded headless devices, desktops, mobile platforms, big screen TVs, or single board computers with screens to build a do-it-yourself smart speaker.

This talk will explore the OpenVoiceOS technology stack, highlighting the core design, plugin system, goals of the platform, and how we currently incorporate and use KDE technologies on the OpenVoiceOS platform.

Launching an application is something we do numerous times every day without sparing too much thought for. It appears simple on the surface, however there's a whole world of complexity in what actually happens under the hood.

This talk dives into the details of what actually happens to ensure everything works properly. This includes opening files, transferring window focus, and resource management integration.

Goal of this talk is to show application developers all of the details they don't have to care about when using the appropriate APIs in their software.

One of the repercussions of the switch towards Wayland is that extending the ecosystem's features happens through wording-centric standards rather than primarily implementations. Through my experience with the xdg_activation and the global shortcuts portal cases, I'll offer some perspective on what works best and suggest when and how to attempt such new features.

There's still a lot of misconceptions about what Wayland is and how it in particular affects the user experience of interacting with the Linux desktop.

In this presentation I want to talk about the meaning(s) of the term 'Wayland' and outline how these fit together.

I also want to briefly discuss how the development of Wayland itself works and how this advances the Linux desktop ecosystem.

On November 2020, Apple released the M1 and sent shock waves through the mobile computing space. They also did something nearly unprecedented: while they officially support booting third-party operating systems, Apple had no plans to develop them, nor provide the documentation required.

We took them up on that challenge.

A year and a half later, Linux 5.19 was tagged from an Apple M2 laptop running Linux. This is the story of how Asahi Linux took Linux on Apple Silicon from zero to a usable Plasma desktop in just over a year.

In this talk we'll explore how KDE's software crash tracking works and how to make it more amazing using modern technologies like debuginfod, coredumpd, and Sentry.

The handicap accessibility of KDE software has lagged behind both proprietary and open source alternatives. This represents a tremendous barrier toward expanding our enterprise presence, as both public and private organizations have a legal requirement to provide workers and users with software that meets a certain standard of accessibility. The purpose of this talk is to inform KDE developers of how they can directly improve the lives of disabled people while attaining compliance with both open source standards and legal mandates.

The issue of inadequate accessibility has already complicated the deployment of KDE software at organizations such as NASA, and will negatively impact the community's long-term ability to attract contributors. We must ensure KDE software meets modern standards for accessibility so that we can be a healthy, global, and inclusive community that elevates the lives of people through free software.